Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Up and Running, Sort of.

Cause of death: faulty power supply leading to frying the motherboard (see the blown capacitor in the picture below...)


I got the board and power supply replaced at PCvillage. And sorry to disappoint you Ed, I didn't upgrade my comp, just wanted to get it back up with the minimum hassle. I don't really have a need to get a super fast computer and video card simply for checking email and going on Internet (kind of sad really, I don't play computer games anymore, but there's the DS =). In fact I have downgraded to using the onboard video since the they didn't have a board with the old AGP slot (oh gee, seems like only yesterday that the AGP was the next big thing in gaming, and now it's obsolete...) The board does have a PCI Express slot so I could get a better card later on.

So at least I can boot up now, had to repair Windows which turned out to be less painful than I expected. But my system is a bit "flaky" now, there are stuff here and there that doesn't work quite like it used to (for example, my bluetooth keyboard and mouse just refuses to connect). Well, I gotta format my comp, something I expected to have to do anyways. What fun.

Isn't it odd that I blog more when my computer is busted?

2 comments:

Edmlee said...

What fun.Isn't it odd that I blog more when my computer is busted?

Yes, it's like needing to email a technician about computer failures when your computer doesn't turn on... ha ha

But dude, u got to get a new gfx car :p

Andrew said...

A new car eh? That's not a bad idea...

And I think I will get a video card sooner rather than later. The performance of the onboard one is horrible, even for just scrolling web pages.

Hopefully a certain friend from former ATI can hook me up with some great deals ;)