Saturday, June 27, 2009

Mixed

Click here to view these pictures larger

I thought it was about time I re-organized my photos since ImageStation went kaput and I lost the album functionality on my homepage (yeah I know, it's been over a year). So I was trying a few online photo services recently.

The first I tried was Flickr; actually I had an old account with them but I never really used it. As a rogers subscriber I was signed up for a pro account too, but that's gone to waste since it's getting reverted to a basic account in July. Anyways, I liked the way that all your photos are put into a pool (or PhotoStream as they call it) and then you can loosely organize them into different sets and collections. But ultimately I decided not to use Flickr because the basic account has some limit where you can only view the most recent 200 photos in the PhotoStream, and I sure wasn't going to pay $25 or whatever it was a year for a full fledged service.

So the search continues. Next I tried to PhotoBucket; actually I only got to reading their service agreement. I think that service is mostly free, and doesn't seem to have a hard limit cap on the number of photos. However, there was some weird clause which says you have to log into the account every 3 months or so, or else something wouldn't work or what not. I decided that was too complicated and didn't even bother creating an account.

Next I tried was Shutterfly. The name sounded familar and a quick google search reveals why; it was the service that took in the old ImageStation users. I had receive a few emails back when ImageStation was shutting down that I should migrate my photos to Shutterfly, which of course I totally ignored. I looked over the features and the terms and conditions and there wasn't anything major I didn't like and so I created an account.

As you can see by the album I posted, Shutterfly is the service I stuck with. The services has a number of interesting features that I'd like to point out but I'll leave that to another post since this post is already getting fairly long. Bye for now.

No comments: