Thursday, August 28, 2008

Strike Freedom Construction - Day 1

Ok, it's about time I resurrected this blog. And what better use of it than to chronicle the construction of that MG Strike Freedom Gundam model I have sitting in my closet collecting dust?

That's right, I'm finally going to build it. I have a picture to prove it. Here's how it looks after the first day:



As you can see, I've got the upper body assembled. What you might not see from the pic is the new technique I'm trying with this one--the no paint technique. What's special about this technique you ask? After all, anyone could build a model without applying paint on it. Well, the difference is that I'm sanding each part to get rid of the glossy outer layer. I read about this technique a while ago and I wanted to try it because I thought this would be less working than painting... silly me... It's actually turns out to be quite a bit of work, but there is less chance of messing up. So far I'm pretty pleased with the results.

That's it for today, stay tuned for day 2!

P.S. I just realized I talked about this sanding technique a couple posts ago (time-wise it was a long time ago!) I was experimenting on BB Gundam model at the time. Sadly that model is still incomplete, it was just too hard sanding all the small parts. I definitely wouldn't recommend this technique on models smaller than 1/100 scale.

2 comments:

可可 said...

Welcome back to blogging! We will see how "complete" this model gets...

Andrew said...

Oh? Is that a hint of doubt in your comment?? Hehe, I'm actually a few days behind on my posting. The model actually looks more complete than the pic I posted already.